Friday, October 10, 2008

What I Love/Hate about Massachusetts...so far anyway

It's been about 2 months since I moved to what I like to call the "frozen tundra," and I think many people are very surprised I haven't been complaining about how I'm ready to go home just yet. I must say I have had some bad days thus far...but I have also had some really great days so I guess they balance each other out. Since I've been here for a decent amount of time now, I think it's fair that I can make judgement on what I like/dislike about the area as a whole.

I absolutely LOVE:
-that gas is quite cheaper here than in Houston (the sign says 2.99 in case it's not super clear)...and I've seen cheaper

-the eclectic-ness of Northampton...basically anything goes...and when I say anything I really mean ANYTHING
-the essence of 4 seasons...I'm pretty sure when winter rolls around I'm going to hate it with a passion but right now fall foliage has a special place in my heart. It is absolutely stunning to say the least.
-that Massachusetts is a democratic state...Obama fa ya mama! I kinda feel like my vote will actually count this go round.
-my cozy apartment...and by cozy I mean it's a 2x2 box BUT it's mine...ALL MINE.
-that you can run red lights...and don't have to worry about the state of Massachusetts mailing you some 75 dollar ticket with a picture of your license plate.
-being a grad student (well this can go on the HATE list as well when it comes to some class days). I'm truly living the life because my day is over at 2pm EVERYDAY (well until practice starts in a few weeks)...and that's only because I chose to take a job so that I wouldn't have so much free time on my hands.
-being a coach...I'm still adjusting to this DIII thing...but I'm pretty sure coaching is what I want to spend the rest of my life doing.
-being able to drive for 20min and pass through about 5 towns...absolutely no joke. (i.e., on the way to school--Granby, South Hadley, Chicopee, Easthampton, Northampton)
-that I will actually be able to wear my uggs more than twice this year
-that I have so much 'ME' time...I guess I'll have my life figured out some time within the next 2 years



I HATE:
-that newscasters are soooo NOT cute. How in the heck are you supposed to be on TV everyday and your face is definitely one that should be on the radio.
-this eastern time zone crap...I look to begin watching my TV shows at 7pm...NOT 8pm. It's dang near midnight before I can tear myself away from couch for fear of missing one of my precious shows
-the lack of ethnic places to go (i.e. hair salons, restaurants, clubs/bars,...did I mention hair salons?)
-the lack of diversity period. The pioneer valley prides itself on its diversity...but to be honest, their idea of diversity is a good mix of homosexuals and heterosexuals...this is all cool and dandy with me, but no one understands how incredibly excited I get when I see another Black person)
-that you have exactly 100ft to merge on the highway and have to hope that the oncoming car has enough courtesy to actually switch lanes so that you can get on safely.
-that the speed limit is ACTUALLY enforced...the cops hide out everywhere just waiting to catch someone...learned my lesson quite quickly
-that it is 32 deg in the morning...but has the audacity to warm up to 75 in the day. This poses a huge inconvenience to a girl's wardrobe.
-that NOTHING stays open 24hrs...well maybe CVS but that's a ways from the house. Pretty much everything shuts down at 10pm PROMPTLY.
-that they don't play country music up here (yes, I know I'm black...but I'm from TX and I do have an affinity for country music from time to time)
-that the radio station here is NOT up to par...I mean all this east coast rap and pop music is killing me.
-that they only broadcast regional games...so I have missed all but 2 UT games this year that were on tv :-(. And I have only seen one LSU games. Saturday College football consists of dang Penn State (UGH!). Not to mention I have to go to a bar on Sundays just to see the Cowboys play because on regular cable they only show the Pats (who I actually liked before Tom Brady went down) and those dang NY Giants (another UGH!)

I'm pretty sure this list will grow...just thought I'd provide a little insight on how I've been feeling overall.

1 comment:

Valeriya said...

Nice!
I'll think about stealing your idea (what else is new tho). And I'm super excited that you are not homesick and liking your "separated from the roots" life.