Wednesday, October 29, 2008

It's official!!!!!

After 3 days of practice I can say that I am officially a COACH. For the past 6 weeks I have been doing miscellaneous coaching duties, but this past Monday was our first official day of practice. I think I was more excited than my kids were. I was also extremely nervous because the girls have had suggested workouts for the past 6 weeks of which I had no control over them actually doing them or not. My head coach basically made a statement that we would see just how effective my workouts had been for them...so I was praying to God that they would make me look good seeing as how my preseason workout was miles away from what previous years workouts had been. But they made me look good...and after 3 days of practice, I see so much potential in many of my girls. Because Division III does not have scholarship athletes, I have double duty in making them high quality athletes as well as keeping them interested in the sport enough to not quit. So needless to say I definitely have my work cut out for me.

3 days into my first season as a coach I have learned so much about myself already. I have a ton of things to work on as far as my 'teaching' skills. For me explanations are hard to convey to my athletes. I can demonstrate with the best of them, but when I'm 50 there is no way I'm still going to be able to get my lean-mean-granny-machine body over a hurdle. So one of my main goals is to be able to convey my thoughts without using physical motion to demonstrate. I'll definitely let you know how that works out.

Overall I love my girls...I have a host of personalities on the team (lots of positive energy, some humor, some go-gettas, and even a tad bit of attitude). But with all of their differences, they all stand out to me individually ALREADY. Each of them is special to me. 3 days into this coaching thing...I've left every practice with a smile...and honestly I couldn't have asked for anything more.

***I have my first official 'coaching' pic...well actually it's more along the lines of sitting bundled up after being at the track for 2 hours in 35 deg weather. I'll put it up soon.

No comments: