Tuesday, November 17, 2009

ummm...can someone please change the weather

I used to think I had this pact with God and the weather because the entire time I spent at Rice we rarely had rain days. It rains in Houston quite frequently, but Monday through Friday between the hours of 3 and 6pm it NEVER rained...and this made practices for a bunch of black girls who were worried about their hair quite manageable. I can count the number of track meets that I ran in the rain (or sprinkles) on one hand, so the biggest foe I ever had to deal with living in the south was the humidity. Even when I moved up north, I prayed that it wouldn't snow until I left for Christmas break. I left December 12, and the first 12inch snow storm came December 13...now if that ain't the work of God I don't know what is. So needless to say I thought that me and God had this weather thing all figured out...

That is until I got to Nacogdoches. Since I've been here we've had weeks of rain in a row. I will always be dry (hence the rain boots, umbrella, rain pants, rain coat, and extra pair of socks in my office) but I often feel for my athletes because they are always drenched after practice. We finally got some nice weather days...and I'm talking 75 degrees and bright and sunny and practice was AWESOME. Then I wake up this morning and it is freaking 35 degrees outside...now I hate the rain, but when it's 70 and raining I can deal. 35...uh uh! I swear I often wonder how I made through the harsh winter.

So I've been doing some thinking today. I am now putting out a public service announcement to God to lets get back on the same page and get the weather back in order. I live in the south for goodness sake...we really should never get below the 50 degree barrier.

No comments: