Tuesday, August 12, 2008

world record galore...what's really going on?

Outside of March Madness, the Olympics is by far my favorite sporting event. It does suck that it only occurs every four years, but that doesn't stop my excitement one tiny bit. I can't wait until track begins on Friday because I get to see not only people I've competed against and/or idolized for the last four years, but my very own teammate is competing for the U.S. in the long jump (shout outs to Fums), and my coach was named the Barbados Olympic Coach this year. Watching the opening ceremony was so incredibly cool. I think I saw my coach, and although I didn't see Funmi in all her Olympic glory, I saw a few other people I know AND I fell in love with my new Olympic hottie. While Chris Paul is my number one...James Blake is running a close second. I had heard about how cute James Blake was...but oh GOD! He is absolutely gorgeous I tell ya.

Ok, so enough of that. Seeing as how track does not make its debut until Friday, I have been soaking up every other sport that has been televised. I have seriously watched everything...rowing, archery, beach volleyball (one of my favs), tennis, handball (had never actually seen that before), badminton (mini-tennis i guess?), softball, cross country equestrian, road cycling, synchronized diving (super cool), swimming, gymnastics (I can't wait until rhythmic gymnastics comes on...yes I'm slightly weird)...there's probably more but that's all I can think of right now. Anywho, swimming is seriously off the chain right now. World record after world record is being broken...prelim, semi-final, final...it doesn't even matter. I must say that Michael Phelps is a beast among all beasts. But in all seriousness, it slightly troubles me at how not one of the swimmers is questioned for doping whereas if this was happening in track and field I honestly think they would be performing urine/blood test on the field at the sight of the event for the entire world to see. Maybe I'm being biased because I'm an athlete (well former athlete I guess), but still...let this world record madness happen over the course of the next week at the Bird's Nest (the track and field venue of the Beijing Olympics), and I promise doping questions are about to explode like no other. So my question is...just how meaningful is the demolition of world record after world record in swimming, when of the 40 or so track and field records that exist, only approximately 10 have been broken in the last decade or so? Maybe swimming is simply still progressing and track and field has hit its peak...but regardless of how far the sport is in its lifespan, is it really the track and field athletes who need to be questioned of continuous steroid scandals?

1 comment:

Valeriya said...

Girl you intrigued me with the Blake guy and after doing lil Googling job I have to agree with you. He's delightful to look at (very delightful). And also, I've noticed that Michael Phelps is looking better and better with every record he breaks. Hmm. lol but what I read about swimming is that they have a lot of lil techniques that could be improved which aids them in breaking all the records. N girl yes. can't wait till T&F