Thursday, August 21, 2008

I HAVE ARRIVED!!!!!

well 29 hours and 12 states later that is...

If ever you want a road trip buddy...I guess I'm probably not the best person to ask. Out of the entire 29 hour drive, I drove a mere 6 1/2 hours...to my credit they were the hardest 6 1/2 hours of the trip because they were in the middle of the night. My mom and godmother shared the duties for the other 22 1/2 hours. Anywho...I definitely noticed a few things on the way that I thought would make for a great blog (yes I took notes so that I would remember...call me lame if you like).

Louisiana has the most disgusting bathrooms in the entire United States. I don't think I have ever been in something as hideously disgusting as the truck stop/gas station bathroom I was forced to use...ugh!

In Mississippi they had the nerve to charge an additional $1.19 for the LID of the coffee cup...WTF????? It was however the coolest truck stop along the way. It was nice and clean and it even had a washer and dryer in it. Maybe that's why we pay extra for the lid to fund the electricity for the laundry mat...hmmmm idk.

The Virginia countryside is absolutely beautiful...well from what I saw at 5am in the morning. I saw some deer on the road but I'm not sure if it was in Tennessee, Kentucky, or Virginia...it all began to look alike to me after a while. Thank God they stayed on there side of the road. Speaking of deer...there are some in my back yard...how cool is that...along with some corn fields. I feel like I'm back in Texas already...just straight up country.

Seeing as how I slept through most of VA and West Virginia...and come to think of it, Maryland as well, I kinda missed a whole lot of what was going on there. I did however lose an hour of my life by switching time zones (well that's how I like to think of it anyway).

I instantly was able to tell when we were no longer in the South. The people just look at you differently. The ma'ams and sirs stop and people just become super rude. This all happened in Pennsylvania which was also where we encountered our first bit of traffic. People started acting like they didn't know how to drive in a construction area. It seemed as if everyone was trying to be nosey and see what was going on.

So 29 hours and 12 states later I arrived at what we thought would be our final destination...only to find out we couldn't get the key to my apartment because the office was closed...ain't that some BS for you. We ended up spending the night in one of the finest hotels in all of western Massachusetts (total sarcasm on that one). It was more along the lines of pure d trash. Reminds me of the Ocho (super eight) I heard everyone talking about after regionals last year...yeah, that bad!

I am finally settled I guess you can say. I have my furniture, yet I'm sleeping on an air mattress because my mom and godmother have overtaken my room. But I have the tv so that's all fine with me...since everyone knows how I love my space. So far I'm enjoying where I am. I have been to school (it's nice), I found the mall (Hallelujah!), there's a club wal-mart nearby, cheap gas (actually cheaper than when I left Houston), and there is a dairy queen and nail shop (woohoo!).

So there are the basics...Louisiana to Mississippi to Alabama to Georgia to Tennessee to Kentucky to Virginia to West Virginia to Maryland to Pennsylvania to New York to Massachusetts. I'm alive and living (my mom and I haven't strangled each other yet) and happy to say the least. The idea that I'm actually alone in a new city hasn't quite set in yet...but who cares when I have a cute new apartment and an awesome mall to keep me occupied right now.

3 comments:

Valeriya said...

I was a little worried if you were going to be ok over there, but since you've found a Dairy Queen - you're totally taken care of. That is the first thing I asked about when I got to San Antonio, but since everything is a 30 minute drive away I had to settle for Freddy's Custard...who knows...it's ok tho. I'm excited bout your new life.

Anonymous said...

Kornbread, I ran into Toya at the football opener last night and, of course, our first 5 minutes of catching up were dedicated to you. Keep making Beaumont proud, we're expecting a lot out of you girl.


your blessings are on my mind...

Laceekins said...

@val - dairy queen is definitely the lifesave (lol). like you...i had my first visitor this week (well outside of my mom and godmother). and idk about that freddy custards biz...let me know how that works out.

@fannie - dude i haven't heard from you in FOREVER. we need a catch-up convo asap. i start school/coaching/teaching this week so there will be many more updates. i will always be a 409 savage for life...gotta put the city on the map!