Monday, September 1, 2008

workout barbie

It's been a cool 3-4 weeks...probably longer than that since I really worked out. But I needed a break because after track season concluded, I had this mad-woman workout plan. It was like I couldn't stay away from the gym - well that could have been because I worked at a gym, and what better way to waste time on the clock than to actually make use of the facilities. I definitely look like a civilian now than an actual athlete, seeing as how I have dropped a cool 10 pounds with ease and I have even stopped getting questions about what sport I play because my legs are not as super defined and sculpted as they were at the end of May. Simply stated...I'm skinny again.

So today, I thought it would be a great time to make use of the wonderful facilities we have at Smith (which I must add are oh so much better than the ones I was accustomed to at Rice). There is a general workout area (cardio machines/fitness and weight equipment) for any one affiliated with Smiths' personal use, but of course I like to be alone when I workout, so I opted to use the other weight room, which is just one step up from the shed at the track at Rice. It is clear to me that it had not been used in a good while seeing as how there was stuff scattered everywhere, but I think I have found my new workout place for the next two years.

After weights, I decided against the treadmill because it was such a beautiful day outside. By the way, as much as I love the Houston heat, it is by far not my favorite thing to workout in...heck I can't even tan in it because my body starts burning in under 5 minutes. I tried unsuccessfully to locate the cross country trail around campus, but then realized the track was nearby. There was not a single soul out there...kind of weird to me, because we ALWAYS had to share our track with some randoms on any given day. On my walk to the track I got plenty of stares. I'm not sure if it was because I'm black (and there are not too many of us roaming these parts) or if it was because I was half naked (and for anyone who knows me...you know that half naked is the ONLY way I will workout). I'm going to go with the second choice so as not to make racial judgements on my wonderful New Englanders just yet.

Anyhow, I hope that I am not ridiculously sore for the remainder of the week due to my month long hiatus from any type of physical activity. I'm still trying to figure out how in the heck I'm going to actually be able to workout everyday, seeing as how my schedule seems as if it will be filled from dusk to dawn. Maybe I'll workout with my girls...who I'm actually hoping to meet sometime soon, since practice should be starting shortly.

***side note: I've been in Massachusetts for two whole weeks now, and surprisingly I'm not ready to come home just yet. I love the weather (well now anyway). The people are nice. I love having my own space. So for now I'm content. School starts Thursday...that'll be the true test to whether or not the next two years will be closer to heaven or hell.

1 comment:

Valeriya said...

Lacee' dude, keep those workouts going. You don't want to go coaching those students and they're gonna be like "I wanna see YOU run that" (clearly that thought has crossed my mind during practice a great number of times).
glad to hear you're liking it still.