Wednesday, September 17, 2008

something like a coach...i guess :-P

Today was my first day alone with my athletes. Technically because we're division III we aren't allowed to have actual practices until October 27th...which I must admit is totally cool with me because I still have weekends and evenings to myself. BUT because we are aware that our girls have done absolutely nothing over the summer...AND we have a ton of freshman...the head coach thought it was a good idea for us to oversee practices this week to make sure that they were actually doing the drills properly, weren't killing themselves...but honestly just to make sure they were actually showing up to these suggested workouts. Monday and Tuesday, 3 of the assistant coaches were present...and yes I said 3. We actually have an army...my guess right now is 7 or so...which is mad crazy because we only have like 28 girls. But that's another story.

Well of the 7 assistants, I was the one who conducted practice today. I was much more comfortable not having other people questioning what I was doing, and scrutinizing my ideas...plus I think the girls enjoyed my workouts much more than the stuff we had them doing on Monday. My goal is not to kill them...YET...but to make sure they are actually getting something out of the workouts...as well as semi enjoying themselves and getting to know each other in the process. Despite what everyone thinks, track is somewhat of a team sport. While individual in most aspects, conference championships come in the form of team work. The girls were able to chat between runs/exercises, but I also had them huffing and puffing so I felt as though today's workout was quite successful. I'm hoping to have tons of freedom with the creativity of my workouts for them. I see potential in a lot of girls...attitude and laziness in some as well. But I come from a team of attitude so I think I can manage that part. As far as laziness...if you don't want to be here...you are more than welcome to go home. D3 athletes are not scholarship athletes by any means...I want my girls to do it because they want to...not because they feel pressured to do so.

***side note***
I found a salon that does 'ethnic' hair...there is one black chick who works there and she books up so fast supposedly because evidently every other black woman in the area is trying to get her hair done at the same time as me. Soooooo I settled for the white girl who has 'ethnic experience'...I'll definitely let you know how that works out...

I thought I'd leave you with a picture of the beautiful scenery that I found while driving around searching for the salon. I have to say that I live in an absolutely beautiful area. (and NO this is not my house)

1 comment:

Valeriya said...

haha, go coach Lacee'. Dude you are gonna be their coolest coach. I'll need to see how ya do this season and we'll evaluate you. heehee. jk