Thursday, September 4, 2008

1st day of school

Today was my first day of class...and just like any other first day of school, I rustled and tussled all night like an 8yr old eagerly ready for 3rd grade. Except I'm not sure I was so eager for class, seeing as how I could easily be voted the first person most likely to skip class. I am excited that I finally have stuff to keep me occupied during the day because yesterday I was hit by my first bout of homesickness. Yeah you read it right...Lacee' Carmon misses Texas and all her friends like crazy. I've basically had visitors for the first 2 weeks of being in Massachusetts, so being alone for 3 days is finally making it sink in that I'm kind of alone. I really don't have any friends outside of school...and as far as the people at school...well they are more so acquaintances seeing as how I only socialize with them at school. So basically for the first time in my life I'm a loner...which is really weird but I know it time I'll adjust to my new circumstances and everything will be ok.

Today in my sport leadership class the teacher made a statement that 'a leader is someone who once was a follower.' This made me think of how in less than 6 months my life has completely changed. My whole life I have been a participant in some type of sport and while I have served as a leader figure for many of them, I have also been under the leadership of many coaches. All of the skills and attributes they have instilled in me have helped shape me into the person I am today. Now I am taking on their role and will in turn have athletes and students of my own to lead and play a role model toward. This is something I am extremely excited about because I now I have the opportunity to influence the lives of others just as my life has been so greatly influenced. I hope to lead my girls (which I am rightfully endowed to say because I coach/teach/attend an all girls college) with the same passion and drive as my former coaches. I want to have the same investments in them that my coaches made in me so that one day if nothing else, I can give just one girl a chance to live out her dream just as I have been given this grand opportunity today. With that said...I get to meet my team tomorrow for the first time. So I suppose tonight's slumber will be a rustle tussle event because this is something I've been looking forward to since February 29th, 2008.

No comments: