Tuesday, August 5, 2008

no hurricane after all...

For starters, I didn't even realize there was a storm brewing in the Gulf until a friend of mine's mom so kindly informed me on Sunday evening. Once I actually saw the news (weather) I went into total "freak out" mode. For anyone who knows me, you will totally understand why this actually occurred. 2 years ago when us southern folk encountered the great hurricane madness with Katrina, Rita, and Wilma...I was a product of one and saw the devastating results of another first hand. It absolutely kills me when Houstonians think so lightly of the stronger, more powerful hurricanes that have been recently forming and wrecking havoc about the southern coastal lands. Everyone always thinks 'it'll never happen to me.' But guess what...I thought the same thing and it did in fact happen to me. 12 holes in the roof to be exact...my ceiling sitting on my bedroom set (after walking through mushed carpet just to get to the rooms)...the smell of mildew and mold...definitely something I will never forget. My city was without power for about a month, which was absolutely nothing in comparison to the catastrophe that occurred in New Orleans. I saw first hand the evacuees from New Orleans (and it kills me that President Bush would call someone from our own country refugees) when they made there way into southeast Texas searching for shelter. I later actually visited New Orleans early this year, and it still saddens me to know that this city is nothing as I remembered it from family vacations as a child.

The more recent Tropical Storm Eduoard only brought tons of rain and slight wind damage. It made landfall about 30 miles southwest of my hometown...but I am happy to report that I am sitting in my house WITH electricity, happily typing away on my computer and watching TV. I can only thank GOD for this because yesterday I was somewhat of a nervous wreck as my family and I chose to 'ride' this one out instead of evacuating...besides, it was only a tropical storm right? Yeah well even those can do damage as well.


So I guess the purpose of this blog is simply to serve as a public service announcement: Hurricanes are serious. Whether it's torrential rains that may cause serious floods, or excessive winds that can do unimaginable damage...it might be in your best interest to take it serious. Never underestimate its capabilities because at some point in your life it may make a believer out of you...just like it did to me.

No comments: